[ckan-dev] suggestion: get_action exception

David Read david.read at hackneyworkshop.com
Thu Jun 7 12:15:17 UTC 2012

Hi CKAN devs,

Can I request that ckan.logic.get_action raises an exception if the
action requested doesn't exist?

Two of us had a frustrating time tracking down an exception this
morning. It's difficult when the exception is raised in python in a
template because you don't get a line number. The problem was caused
by a new logic function being added to another extension, and we
hadn't updated the code there. So if get_action raised an proper
exception rather than silently returning None then I think we'd have
found the problem quicker.

I'd write the code for this, but as I understand that the new system
would require a ticket, branch, pull request, code review, merge. It
seems a lot to do for such a small thing.

Dave