[ckan-dev] recline UX

Haq, Salman Salman.Haq at neustar.biz
Tue Jun 26 21:03:35 UTC 2012

On 6/26/12 4:30 PM, "Rufus Pollock" <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

>On 26 June 2012 08:21,  <p.romain at cg33.fr> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am wondering what can be the user experience when viewing a resource
>>in
>> CKAN.
>> The visualisation offered by recline is great but for the average user
>>it
>> can lead to some surprise or incomprehension.
>
>Just to note the Recline currently live in CKAN v1.7 is nearly 2
>months old. Recline has seen extensive improvements in that time ;-)
>
>> Firstly, if the resource is not in a csv format, it will only display a
>>red
>> line.
>
>It isn't just CSV - it will try and do a bunch of other formats.
>
>However, it would be nicer to just not display the preview section and
>we have a ticket for this which is either done or nearly done:
><http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/2389>
>
>> Wouldn't it be better to check the resource's format before display?
>
>We already do that. The issue is what we do if we can't preview it.
>Not showing the Preview I think would be better!
>
>> On the resource metadata notice, there are 3 field to specify mime type.
>> What are they used for ?
>
>See: http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-1.7/domain-model-resource.html
>
>The basic answer is that format is informal - e.g. can be "csv" --
>which is not a valid mimetype. Meanwhile mimetype *must* be the
>mimetype of the file. mimetype inner is for e.g. the case of a zipped
>csv. I think we should probably hide this info from average users.
>
>> The first one seems to display a format icon but the other 2 : what is
>>the
>> difference between type mime and type mime (inner) ?
>>
>> Secondly, if the format is csv is it possible to display polygons or
>>points
>> in the map view whatever the geographic projection ? By default it
>>seems to
>> work only for WGS84 coordinates, correct ?
>
>Yes, I think that is correct. I don't know Leaflet's support for
>projection so couldn't answer immediately as to support for other
>projections.
>
>> Thirdly, I followed the discussion about browser compatibilty. It works
>>fine
>> on IE9 but it doesn't seem to work on IE8. If IE6 and IE7 are slowly but
>> surely disappearing, IE8 is there for some time and it would be great to
>> assure compatibility with this browser. Backbone is compatible with this
>> browser so maybe we could help in making a fix for recline.
>
>If it doesn't work on IE8 in the *latest* Recline (see
>http://reclinejs.com/ or https://github.com/okfn/recline please file
>an issue https://github.com/okfn/recline/issues)
>
>> Lastly, if no visualisation is available, have you thought about the
>> possibility to attach an screenshot of the resource or an image
>>illustrating
>> it? When describing a resource of image type, it would be quite useful.

> [...]

Not having the full background about this discussion, I just want to add
that I hope the new changes to the Recline UI that uses SlickGrid will
allow extensive customization of the grid cells.

In my use case, the data is an arbitrary JSON document, not necessarily
from a CSV. So individual fields/columns may need to be rendered
differently. Some may not be editable, others might use an autocomplete
text input, etc.

Thanks,
Salman