[ckan-dev] killing cookies

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 18:10:15 UTC 2012

On 9 March 2012 17:58, David Read <david.read at hackneyworkshop.com> wrote:

> On 9 March 2012 17:45, Toby Dacre <toby.okfn at gmail.com> wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > Thanks for the info.  Yes I'm planning to delete the cookies if they
> exist
> > for a version or two.
> >
> > I'd quite like to remove the ckan_killtopbar cookie too but that would
> need
> > further discussion and is all client side and so can be ignored for
> caching
> > even if it makes the config slightly more effort.
>
> I agree! Do you mean to use javascript to set the cookie? Surely the
> browser will still send the cookie on future requests, which will tell
> Varnish not to return from the cache?

Yes, but varnish/nginx can be told to ignore this cookie and still use the
cache but this means we have to do a custom config for them and also
doesn't play nice with other proxies if we go through any.

> BTW I think CKAN should be configurable to not have that the 'welcome
> bar' at all, solving this problem for clients that use a cache and
> have no need for the welcome bar.

That's one option but I'd like to see it go. IMHO the help link on the page
should be easy to find so that the bar is not needed.

Toby