[ckan-dev] Forgotten usernames

Mark Wainwright mark.wainwright at okfn.org
Tue May 15 09:05:32 UTC 2012

If you forget your password, CKAN lets you request a reset, but if you
forget your username you are stuck. (Based on experiments with
publicdata.eu and thedatahub.org.)

You can go to the 'forgotten password?' screen and hopefully type your
e-mail address in the 'username' box. This half works: if (and only
if) you have an account registered with that e-mail address, CKAN
sends an e-mail with a password reset link. So you can reset your
password but you still don't know your username!

Next you might try logging in using your e-mail address in place of
your username, but this time CKAN is not so helpful and does not
accept the e-mail address, so you still can't log in.

I think the easiest fix is to be able to log in with your e-mail
address. In my experience most sites do this these days, as users find
it easier to remember their own e-mail address than the various
usernames they have on all the sites they use.

Mark

--
Mark Wainwright, CKAN Community Co-ordinator
Open Knowledge Foundation http://okfn.org/