[ckan-dev] Forgotten usernames

Ross Jones ross.jones at okfn.org
Tue May 15 09:14:07 UTC 2012

Hi Mark,

We have a branch that allows user login via username and/or email address, but the problem is that we don't have a unique constraint on email address in the database so progress stalled whilst deciding how to perform the migration.

Now that you've brought it up again, one solution might be to use name+tag@ addressing to handle duplicates, so if I have registered twice with ross.jones at okfn.org for different accounts maybe we could just relabel them ross.jones+username1 at okfn.org and ross.jones+username2 at okfn.org? They should still get delivered as they are valid email addresses.   Not sure how straightforward that would be to do in a sql migration though.

It may be that we are worrying about an issue that doesn't exist on datahub.io, but we can't assume it doesn't happen elsewhere.  Also I suspect we'd be best placed to make this optional.

Ross.