[ckan-dev] Forgotten usernames

Mark Wainwright mark.wainwright at okfn.org
Tue May 15 09:44:27 UTC 2012

It seems the + thing isn't part of the mail standard, so it's not
reliable if used as an address. For instance a mail sent to
mark.wainwright+testing at okfn.org is returned as unrouteable.

Anyway, I'm not sure what behaviour you are suggesting. I want to be
able to log in without remembering my username, so needing to remember
mark.wainwright+markw at okfn.org wouldn't help. Perhaps that's not what
you meant though?

Apart from cleaning up existing problems, I suggest there's no real
problem with not allowing more than one username per address.

Alternatively, if I log in by e-mail address and I have more than one
username, I could get a screen asking me to choose which one I am
trying to log in with. This is a bit clumsy I suppose, but most users
would never see it.

Mark

On 15 May 2012 10:14, Ross Jones <ross.jones at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> We have a branch that allows user login via username and/or email address, but the problem is that we don't have a unique constraint on email address in the database so progress stalled whilst deciding how to perform the migration.
>
> Now that you've brought it up again, one solution might be to use name+tag@ addressing to handle duplicates, so if I have registered twice with ross.jones at okfn.org for different accounts maybe we could just relabel them ross.jones+username1 at okfn.org and ross.jones+username2 at okfn.org? They should still get delivered as they are valid email addresses.   Not sure how straightforward that would be to do in a sql migration though.
>
> It may be that we are worrying about an issue that doesn't exist on datahub.io, but we can't assume it doesn't happen elsewhere.  Also I suspect we'd be best placed to make this optional.
>
> Ross.
>
> On 15 May 2012, at 10:05, Mark Wainwright wrote:
>> I think the easiest fix is to be able to log in with your e-mail
>> address. In my experience most sites do this these days, as users find
>> it easier to remember their own e-mail address than the various
>> usernames they have on all the sites they use.

Mark Wainwright, CKAN Community Co-ordinator
Open Knowledge Foundation http://okfn.org/
Skype: m.wainwright