[ckan-dev] Tagging visualisations onto datasets

Tom Rees tom.rees at okfn.org
Mon May 28 15:27:01 UTC 2012

Hello CKAN developers,
At the end of April I went to TransparencyCamp, and ended up talking about
CKAN/datahub.io an awful lot. It was (very) frequently compared to GitHub,
though the comparison is not always a suitable one. Several conversations
centred around the idea of Pull Requests, which GitHub makes a big deal out
of but isn't really what DataHub is about. I'd argue that people don't
really want pull requests -- "hey, i refined your data for you" is not a
common action among users. But! The much more common use case that did fall
out of discussions is "hey, i visualised your data for you".

This is the kind of feature CKAN could easily integrate: The ability to tag
visualisations onto a dataset (er... a "Viz Pull Request? ..Maybe not)
would indeed have some usefulness, and might be the kind of thing which
encourages the development of a two-way community rather than a more lofty
publishing platform. It would also give us an easy-win response when Pull
Requests are bought up in discussions with prospective users.

File this under "giving people what they need, not what they ask for". Is
this something you guys have discussed? It came up so often that I thought
it best to share with you all, anyway.
Thanks,
Tom