[ckan-dev] Hidden text is too hidden

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue May 1 11:37:24 UTC 2012

On 1 May 2012 12:28, Mark Wainwright <mark.wainwright at okfn.org> wrote:
> There are a couple of problems with 'hidden' text in description
> fields, such as here:
>
> http://thedatahub.org/dataset/patent-nber
>
> 1. The hidden text is supposed to be revealed by clicking on an
> elegant little chevron. But this looks like a bit of decoration; it's
> easy not to realise there's more information there (and I didn't
> realise it for some time, even when I was looking for it). It should
> say something obvious like 'Read more ...'

I strongly agree. I, in fact wonder whether hiding is needed at at
all. Instead we could just have a high-up link saying "jump to data
and resources" and having whole description/README. (We could also
make it (?) so that that the Resources button at top took you to list
of resources (though that would complicate the dropdown).

Aside: that raises a separate point that we should definitely name (in
the text) Resources as Data & Resources or similar that makes much
clearer that Resources include the data.

> 2. The revealing mechanism doesn't work in Google Chrome - at least
> not this version:
>
> 17.0.963.79 (Developer Build 125985 Linux) Built on Ubuntu 11.10,
> running on LinuxMint 12

I've also noticed some bugginess here.

> The chevron changes shape when clicked on, but nothing else happens. I
> had to load the page in another browser (Firefox) to see what was
> going on.

Major UX bug then ... (though I note I've seen that as intermittent in
browsers and affected, weirdly, by whether debug console was open).

Rufus

> Mark
>
> --
> Mark Wainwright, CKAN Community Co-ordinator
> Open Knowledge Foundation http://okfn.org/
> Skype: m.wainwright

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation