[ckan-dev] Workflow features

Ross Jones ross.jones at okfn.org
Thu May 10 12:02:16 UTC 2012

Hi,

Some more answers for you.

> 5. I want to automatically extract metadata from resources - I might
> have thousands of image files say which include metadata (time and
> date, say), and I want any metadata that's there to magically be read
> by CKAN.

Not as far as I can determine, but I like the idea.  I've added a ticket at http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/2378 describing this, please feel free to add more formats that would be useful beyond HTML, PDF, Exif.

This could even be done by somebody not currently on the CKAN team using http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-1.7/extensions.html as well as IDomainModificationObject in http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-1.7/writing-extensions.html#plugins-an-overview and http://wiki.ckan.org/Writing_asynchronous_tasks for making it asynchronous.

If anybody would like to implement this, I'm happy to provide guidance as necessary.

> 6. I want to publish things subject to approval by someone else, or
> publish something only after a specific date (eg for copyright reasons
> or because it isn't published yet), either automatically or (more
> likely) after manual checking.

It is possible with 1.7 to mark a dataset as private, but only in your own custom form - for instance the organization dataset form or a custom form as I mentioned in my other email (implementation of IDatasetForm).  This would then restrict visibility to members of that organization until somebody decided to make it public.

So the short answer is yes, currently a manual task.

Ross.