[ckan-dev] RDF about CKAN datasets: not as good as it used to be.

Timothy Lebo lebot at rpi.edu
Wed May 23 12:51:58 UTC 2012

Ross,

On May 23, 2012, at 8:31 AM, Ross Jones wrote:

> At this point it is unlikely that we will reinstate semantic.ckan.net running gockan,

That seems to make sense.

> but we are replacing it with a virtuoso install hosted very kindly by openlink so that we do still provide a SPARQL endpoint.

That's great. I am also looking for the RDF upon URI dereference.

> Having said that we're open to help, advice and guidance on improving the RDF that we currently generate.

> I believe there's an ongoing discussion about the rdf export and potential for void import

Then it does make sense for me to play with gockan, so that we have a reasonable baseline for discussion.
I see where this fits now.

FWIW, I've started a python implementation that uses the ckanclient to produce RDF. Some example(s),

 curl -H "Content-Type: text/turtle" -d ' @prefix datafaqs: <http://purl.org/twc/vocab/datafaqs#> . <http://thedatahub.org/dataset/farmers-markets-geographic-data-united-states>
 a datafaqs:CKANDataset .' http://aquarius.tw.rpi.edu/projects/datafaqs/services/sadi/ckan/lift-ckan

 curl -H "Content-Type: text/turtle" -d ' @prefix datafaqs: <http://purl.org/twc/vocab/datafaqs#> . <http://thedatahub.org/dataset/dbpedia>
 a datafaqs:CKANDataset .' http://aquarius.tw.rpi.edu/projects/datafaqs/services/sadi/ckan/lift-ckan

> - but at this point I don't know all of the parties that would want to be involved, and I worry it is getting lost in ckan-dev traffic, which I think is only going to get noisier in the immediate future.
>
> At the risk or raising everyone's ire about yet more mailing lists, I wonder whether it would be best suited for ckan + linked-data discussion to happen on another mailing list so that the conversation doesn't get lost in the noise.  I'm not 100% sure of this but would appreciate feedback on the idea.

Whichever is fine for me. I just hope that I'm not bothering this list.

Regards,
Tim