[ckan-dev] Resource types

David Read david.read at hackneyworkshop.com
Fri May 25 17:43:09 UTC 2012

Toby,

Rufus and Richard Cyganiak worked hard on this and set out the current
datahub guidelines to be mimetype in preference to the well-known file
extension. This discussion would benefit from recalling what the
reasons were.

I won't repeat my recent posts about lowercase vs mixed case, so do
check the logs.

You could also look at the various things we did in DGU with the
indexing, form autocomplete, migrations etc. Having a list of 'good'
formats to suggest, and you could consider producing a list of
standard migrations, like 'test/csv' -> 'CSV' and 'Excel' -> 'XLS' for
example.

I can't see the logic of creating a new field to store the 'unified'
format alongside the 'raw' format as the user typed it. Just change
the original field value - it's pretty obvious that csv, CSV and
text/csv are all the same, so why keep the mixture?

Dave