[ckan-dev] trac.ckan.org (still) does not support tickets from non-admin users

Ross Jones ross.jones at okfn.org
Mon May 28 15:30:09 UTC 2012

On 28 May 2012, at 16:21, Rufus Pollock wrote:

> On 28 May 2012 14:45, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Hey Rufus, I'm looking into several trac issues this week, including the
>> spam handling.
>>
>> We talked about this at the ckan-dev meetup. The problem with switching
>> to a new ticketing system (aside from it being a big disruptive change)
>> is that we don't 100% know what we want from our ticket system yet, so
>
> The big point for me right now is that:
>
> * Github issues integrate directly with our commits
> * UX is nicer
> * It's really simple and will likely have more community contribution

I think it's also a case of finding what works best for us as a team, I'm not a big
fan of trac but at least it allows us to keep our tickets close together regardless
of which extension it is about and seeing the activity there would hopefully make it
easier to integrate all of the team into using the ticketing system.

Maybe we could use the github api to work in reverse and sync the issue out of
github and into trac ;)

Currently most of the community bug reports come to this list or to the IRC channel,
and I wonder whether that would change if we had another channel where people
could add bugs. There may be one or two but on the whole I suspect it wouldn't make
a lot of difference to how we receive them.

I think the short version is, yes, it's a possibility, but I think we'd rather spend longer
thinking through the problems it might cause.

Ross