[ckan-dev] CKAN and JavaScript

Aron Carroll aron.carroll at okfn.org
Tue May 29 15:29:11 UTC 2012

> As a newcomer to the CKAN community, I wanted to say that this is
> really helpful info -- thanks, Aron!

Hi Jim, happy to hear this is useful. I'll try my best to answer your questions.

> 1) Is there a specific team or process or policy in the CKAN dev
> community aimed at web accessibility, WAI compliance, etc.?

Not that I'm aware of although I'll try and look into this when I come to adding the
JavaScript to the new theme and hopefully add some guidelines to the CKAN style guides.

> 2) Is there a JavaScript library like jQuery included in CKAN for devs
> to build upon, and if not, is this something that has already been
> discussed?

The current version of CKAN and the new theme are built on top of the Bootstrap UI
framework <http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/> as well as jQuery. This provides
a robust library of useful components for developers to use. The CKAN styles then
extend these to create more specific styles.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Aron