[ckan-dev] Non-local resources should not have Download links

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Thu May 31 17:45:31 UTC 2012

On 31 May 2012 18:07, Mark Wainwright <mark.wainwright at okfn.org> wrote:

> I don't really care what kind of link it is - the more important
> question is whether it is stored locally (eg in the filestore) or is
> just a link. People recognise a big shiny button saying 'Download' as
> meaning 'I have got this data/resource/stuff here for you, do you want
> it?' The symbol for 'This is a link, would you like your browser to
> follow the link, which is outside my control and may or may not work?'
> is completely different, namely showing the text or URL of the link,
> and displaying it however your browser displays links. We shouldn't
> confuse the two.

I think we have 3 different things here

1) local data
2) remote data the clicking the link downloads the file
3) a link to some webpage

The first 2 feel like they should say `download` and 3 should say `view
data` or similar
I don't think the user will distinguish between 1 and 2 even if we see them
as being very different
distinguishing between 2 and 3 is harder for us but not impossible - though
it might be occasionally incorrect

I don't like the fact that `download` currently behaves inconsistently

Toby