[ckan-dev] Pull request: coding standards

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Mon Nov 19 10:23:51 UTC 2012

Hey, I've tidied and updated the coding standards a little and added a
couple of bits. I did it all in separate commits so you can see what
happened (although git diffs for these rst files seem to be horrible).
Pull request here:

https://github.com/okfn/ckan/pull/173

http://docs.ckan.org/en/3020-bug-update-coding-standards/#for-ckan-developers

If this gets merged I'd like to add a link in the README on the github
front page, so they're more prominent.

Some notes on the state of these coding standards:

Getting really long so look for anything that could be removed.

I think the How to Contribute section and the Coding Standards sections
are probably pretty complete (well the Python Coding Standards anyway, I
didn't look at the Javascript, HTML or CSS).

The Code Architecture section is missing all sorts of important stuff
that would be good to have in there to document where we're trying to go
with this thing. I've tried to avoid the temptation to put in stuff
that's better learned by reading the code (or by adding docstrings to
the code) such as describing the structure of CKAN (e.g. saying what
each package is for). Instead I'm trying to go for a list of tips about
the right ways to do things in CKAN, e.g.  always go through
logic.action not model, always go through get_action(), etc.

The Release Cycle section is probably woefully out of date and
incomplete. Maybe it should be renamed Release Process and the stuff
from the Release Process wiki page copied into it. I didn't touch it.