[ckan-dev] Pull request: coding standards

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 11:08:04 UTC 2012

On 19 November 2012 10:23, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hey, I've tidied and updated the coding standards a little and added a
> couple of bits. I did it all in separate commits so you can see what
> happened (although git diffs for these rst files seem to be horrible).
> Pull request here:
>
> https://github.com/okfn/ckan/pull/173
>

> http://docs.ckan.org/en/3020-bug-update-coding-standards/#for-ckan-developers
>
> If this gets merged I'd like to add a link in the README on the github
> front page, so they're more prominent.
>
> Some notes on the state of these coding standards:
>
> Getting really long so look for anything that could be removed.
>
> I think the How to Contribute section and the Coding Standards sections
> are probably pretty complete (well the Python Coding Standards anyway, I
> didn't look at the Javascript, HTML or CSS).
>
> I've had a quick scan added a couple of minor comments re css

I think it would be good to include some other issues in here such as
translation.  Although there is a section it is about creating the
translations not how to ensure that templates are translated (more of an
issue with jinja2) but also translations in python/javascript.  Maybe that
would be covered elsewhere.

Looking at the docs in general I think we may need to review some more, eg
for the 2.0 template changes (themeing) as the docs seem to be genshi based
or not cover much in the templates.  To be honest I think that quite a lot
of work is needed to improve the documentation for 2.0

Good start on the coding standards -

Toby