[ckan-dev] My profile vs dashboard

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Fri Nov 9 18:21:42 UTC 2012

> I'm curious as to what the difference between my profile and the dashboard
> is.  From what I can see the difference mainly seems to be that the
> dashboard is currently only for the logged in user but currently the info
> it displays is only the 'news stream'.
>
> My interest stems from integrating the user authorization and organization
> joining requests.
>
> Is the main difference that profile information is public whereas the
> dashboard is private or is the type of information that decides which place
> is used.
>
> Secondly I think it might be good to have some sort of extension point to
> add new 'tabs' to the dashboard/profiles
>
> what do people think?

Yes main difference is public vs private I think. Similar to GitHub,
your dashboard is a private page you get to when you login that shows
useful/relevant/interesting stuff for you privately. The stuff on the
dashboard is not necessarily about you, it can be about info about
things you follow, messages to you from CKAN, etc.  Your profile is your
public user page that anyone can see and shows only public info about
you.

Extension point could be good. Would this be something to to user
template blocks?