[ckan-dev] My profile vs dashboard

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Mon Nov 12 13:41:30 UTC 2012

> If Dashboard = private
>
> should datasets be removed from the dashboard as that information is public?

I don't think we meant that everything on the dash has to be private
sensitive info. Just that your dash itself can only be viewed by you, so
it can contain private info if we want to, but it's more that it
contains any info that is useful to you personally, thinking of it as
your launchpad page that you're taken to when you login to CKAN and from
it you can get to all the useful functions, whereas your profile is your
public page that is for other users to look at and has info about you
that might be interesting to others.

So from that point of view a list of your datasets and an add dataset
button seem like useful things to have on the dash.

Having said that your profile also has a list of your datasets so it's
duplication, and you could make the same argument about everything on
the profile page, that it would also be useful on the dash page, and
then duplicate them all.

GitHub does quite a lot of this on your profile and dash pages e.g. both
contains a list of your repos, not saying it's a good idea though.