[ckan-dev] Mark ckanext-social as deprecated>

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 12:22:43 UTC 2012

On 16 November 2012 11:36, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org> wrote:

> I'm guessing ckanext-social doesn't work with CKAN 2.0 and there's no
> plan to upgrade it?  I'd like to add a note to the top of the README
> saying that it has been replaced by a builtin feature in 2.0, but the
> extension can still be used in 1.x. Any docs for the builtin social
> sharing buttons in 2.0, or shall I add some?

I suspect we have no docs for the built-in it may be worth a quick review
too as it was just created for the demo and may not have had much
non-visual testing.

As far as ckanext-social it would works with 2.0 (it just creates a helper
function) even though it uses genshi templates so will not work when they
get dropped.

It would be good to decide exactly how we handle the change to 2.0 for
extensions in general

the options I see are

1) create new ckanext-social2 type extensions in own git repo
2) have shared code to work with both 1.x and 2.x - more work but possible
need dual templates etc
3) just move all extensions to 2.0
4) create a 1.0 and 2.0 branch and publish to pypi as ext==1, ext==2
5) something else I haven't thought of
6) ignore the issue and hope it goes away ;p

I think option 4 would be the best option but need some co-ordination

Toby