[ckan-dev] File upload error

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Thu Oct 4 09:16:58 UTC 2012

> I have tested both Ubuntu 10.4 and 10.10.
> It works fine with a file name in English. But when I upload in Korean, it
> gives me a same error.
>
> - file name: 2012_08(주요국가).xls
> - upload file name: 2012-10-01T132446/2012_08(주요국가).xls
> - error: Failed to get credentials for storage upload. Upload cannot proceed
>
> When I change a file name in English, there is no error for uploading it.
> I don't know this problem is not related to CKAN directly.
> I have the same problem in thedatahub.org with the same file.

It looks like you've found a bug in CKAN 1.7 and (since you also tested
on thedatahub) CKAN 1.8. I just tested your filename with CKAN 2.0 alpha
(the current master development branch) and I didn't have any problem
uploading and then downloading the file, so I think this problem is
fixed in 2.0.

I think a fix for this is unlikely to be backported to CKAN 1.7, so if
you're using 1.7 then I'd say unicode characters in filenames are not
supported when uploading files to the filestore, stick to ascii
characters.

I've created a ticket for this bug in CKAN 1.8, so a fix may make it
into the 1.8 or 1.8.1 release.