[ckan-dev] CSW, ISO and Spatial Extension

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Mon Oct 29 11:40:31 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Apologies for the late reply, I've been away for a few days, but I was
really happy to come back to see so many interest around CKAN and
CSW/ISO/harvesting!

As you probably may have noticed having a look at the sources we are
currently doing a lot of refactoring and development on this area so
any feedback is really useful. I'll try to briefly explain the current
use case and what is our roadmap on this field for the next months.

The csw/harvest/spatial/inspire extensions on their current form were
developed for an scenario where CKAN acts as a central repository for
datasets (or documents) that are harvested from remote CSW servers or
WAFs. These are imported into CKAN's own data model, exposing them on
the frontend, search, api etc. But For historical reasons, these
datasets are also exposed via a CSW interface, which supports the bare
minimum to be able to harvest the records on CKAN to a GeoNetwork
instance. As Ryan pointed out, the current implementation only exposes
via CSW the records that were harvested from other servers, not the
ones created by other means, eg frontend or API.

This is the current situation, and the following is what is likely to
happen on the following months (some things have already happened):
* Consolidate all plugins and extensions into ckanext-spatial / ckanext-harvest
* Enhance the validation: choose different ISO schemas (customizable
per source) and notify publishers of errors.
* Better and more efficient CSW and WAF harvesters
* Integration with pycsw to provide a full CSW interface

These changes, apart from a more flexible, robust and dev friendly
interface, don't add significant top level changes to the current use
case (ie harvest remote ISO records into CKAN). At a later stage
(depending on resources and availability) we would also like to
support the creation of spatial metadata directly into CKAN via the
frontend, uploading metadata files or via a form wizard with all the
relevant fields. The exact requirements are likely to change on each
project, but hopefully we can provide a nice and powerful platform for
geospatial catalogues.

We'll try to keep the list updated with any new developments, and
please keep coming with your doubts and feedback.

Cheers,

Adrià