[ckan-dev] Harvesting of term translations

Stefan Oderbolz stefan.oderbolz at liip.ch
Tue Aug 27 21:40:35 UTC 2013

Hi there,

we're working with multilingual datasets on remote CKAN instances, that are
getting harvested to a central CKAN instance. Hence, we're very much
missing the term translations. The current API (
http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/api.html#ckan.logic.action.get.term_translation_show)
can return the translation to any given term. But as far as I know, there
is currently no way to get all the term translations from an instance.

We now created a new API call that returns *all* available terms of a
language. After that, we just created a new harvester that consumes this
new API and stores the harvested translations in the CKAN instance. But I'm
not sure if this is the way to go or if we should push the harvesting part
directly to ckanext-harvest and the new API call in the  CKAN core
respectively.

I guess we won't be the last ones to use term translations, and for me it
actually belongs in ckanext-harvest, as this is just "extended" information
of a dataset. The API call should then probably be based on the package, so
that we are able to fetch all term translations that are related to a
single dataset.

Any thoughts?

Best Regards
Stefan

--
Liip AG  //  Feldstrasse 133 //  CH-8004 Zurich
Tel +41 43 500 39 80 // GnuPG 0x7B588C67 // www.liip.ch