[ckan-dev] Vocabularies and management of Tags (Sean Hammond)

Aaron McGlinchy McGlinchyA at landcareresearch.co.nz
Wed Aug 28 04:00:57 UTC 2013

Re:
>> Is there a way to seed the 'free tags' with a vocabulary list so that
>> our users as much as possible use standardised tags?

>Not as far as I know, you'd have to write an extension to do this.

I had found a workaround for this that seems to work:
- create a private dummy dataset, and loading in the tags you want to be available to all users against that dataset.  Even though no-one else can see the dataset, the tags do seem to flow through to the 'general' tags field.
- you don't have to type the tags in one by one either, you can copy and paste a comma separated list and upon upload CKAN parses them into separate tags (including multiple word tags with spaces).  It will look like it is making one big tag with commas in it - but press upload (or update if editing an existing dataset) and hey presto!

It would be nice for the future to have a simple UI for organisation admin or sysadmin to maintain/standardise/cleanse tags...

Cheers
Aaron

Message: 1