[ckan-dev] Using e-mails as usernames

Aaron McGlinchy McGlinchyA at landcareresearch.co.nz
Thu Aug 8 21:01:41 UTC 2013

Hi - just a comment re this,  whilst we are testing out CKAN and learning how it works (its new to us) I have created several users, with different usernames but since they're all me I use the same email address.  I do this so I can experience what it is like for a user with different permission levels rather than just me as Sysadmin.

I can see both sides of the discussion, but just noting the use case above as part of the mix.

>> The problem is that I can't create a user without an username and a
>> password. To work around this, I'll set them to random values. For
>> the password, it's OK. But for the username, it's weird.

Could you not parse the email address so that the text to the left of the @symbol was the Username - that would presumably be text that made some sense to the user?

Cheers
Aaron