[ckan-dev] Dev Meeting Notes - 2013-12-05

Nigel Babu nigel.babu at okfn.org
Thu Dec 5 13:18:46 UTC 2013

Hello,

We have a developer's meeting on Tuesdays and Thursday, and as part of
being more open about CKAN development and involving the community, we've
started to have a formal Agenda and taking notes at the meeting. The Agenda
and notes will be shared on the mailing list at the end of the meeting.

Chair - Adrià
Notes - Nigel

Agenda
======
* Pull Requests.
* Issues.
* General Questions:
   * Awfulness of package_update API - Nigel
   * Uncaught API exception - Nigel
   * locating plugin instances - wardi
   * API design question re accept headers/appended .json on urls - wardi
   * How to add new Python module requirements:
https://github.com/okfn/ckan/pull/1155#issuecomment-29745988 - seanh

Meeting Notes
===========
* Meetings on IRC?
* #1358 - Make datastore upload less confusing. Agreed to call the tab
“DataStore”. Hide tab without datapusher. Assigned to John Martin.
* Log translation - Needs to be in datapusher. Not critical at the moment.
* Translation for revisions/activity stream that are stored in the db.
Constant bits of an activity stream in one column and changing bits in a
different field. Or actual string can be in code and translated in the
normal way.
* #1350 - Pretty big update after Tuesday’s meeting. Moved to validator
function. List of overridable formats. Cleans up the resource format
guessing in general. Discussion about being late for 2.2 because of the
extent of changes, yet undecided. Assigned to Ian Ward, also ask David Read
to take a look as well.
* #1351 - Sean opposed to merging it in. OKFN Sphinx theme changed to look
like okfn.org. This pull request came with other changes as well. RTD one
looks good on mobile, not the OKF one. Common agreement - use one that
works best on most devices. As long as we can put logo on the header. Theme
- we can discuss, but other changes left to Sean to decide. Side note: We
might want to embed docs into ckan.org site.
* #1359 - Googlebot finds it, but isn’t actually linked. Good to have fix.
Assigned to David.
* #1273 - All done, waiting for final testing and by Nigel.
* #1356 - Already being discussed in another bug, David to link the other
bug.

* problems with package_update: partial updates
   * If you sent a dataset dict without resources the resources get deleted
(previously there was an allow_partial_updates, it was too painful to
maintain)
   * Current situation: you are supposed to call package_show and reupload
this dict
   * Documentation needs to be improved, create an issue.
* API exception: uncaught exception in logic function > 500 + html to the
user
   * Nigel: maybe something friendlier
   * Problem: distinguish between 500 caused at the logic level and eg
Apache
   * Leave it for now
* Ian: Is there a nice way to holding state inside a plugin?
   * Keep it in an instance and iterate to it.
   * Declare a global variable.
   * All the options so far are terrible.
   * Example - Configuration specific to the plugin.
   * Different behavior based on context hard to test.
* Is there a reason for moving away from header to url parameters.
   * David: Prefer to move to using Accept in the next version of the API.
   * Throw urls instead of IDs
   * Action function layer still a good idea.
* No reasonably practically way to add module to requirements in the
current environment.
   * Currently we regenerate the requirements.txt which upgrades all the
modules - dangerous.
   * Can’t add one dependency or remove a dependency.
   * Potential: Add new module to requirements.in and then do pip freeze
and add only the new modules to requirements.txt - May cause issues with
dependencies.
   * David to look into another solution in more detail (buildout).

Nigel Babu

Developer  |  @nigelbabu <https://twitter.com/nigelbabu>

Empowering through Open Knowledge

http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on