[ckan-dev] Dev Meeting Notes - 2013-12-05

Irina Bolychevsky irina.bolychevsky at okfn.org
Thu Dec 5 15:27:22 UTC 2013

Thanks Nigel - this is great! Is there an ongoing doc for meeting agendas
and notes we can follow / see the history of? Did you guys decide who is
chairing & making notes next week?

On 5 December 2013 13:18, Nigel Babu <nigel.babu at okfn.org> wrote:

> [...]
> Constant bits of an activity stream in one column and changing bits in a
> different field. Or actual string can be in code and translated in the
> normal way.
> * #1350 - Pretty big update after Tuesday’s meeting. Moved to validator
> function. List of overridable formats. Cleans up the resource format
> guessing in general. Discussion about being late for 2.2 because of the
> extent of changes, yet undecided. Assigned to Ian Ward, also ask David Read
> to take a look as well.
> * #1351 - Sean opposed to merging it in. OKFN Sphinx theme changed to look
> like okfn.org. This pull request came with other changes as well. RTD one
> looks good on mobile, not the OKF one. Common agreement - use one that
> works best on most devices. As long as we can put logo on the header. Theme
> - we can discuss, but other changes left to Sean to decide. Side note: We
> might want to embed docs into ckan.org site.
> * #1359 - Googlebot finds it, but isn’t actually linked. Good to have fix.
> Assigned to David.
> * #1273 - All done, waiting for final testing and by Nigel.
> * #1356 - Already being discussed in another bug, David to link the other
> bug.
>
> * problems with package_update: partial updates
>    * If you sent a dataset dict without resources the resources get
> deleted (previously there was an allow_partial_updates, it was too painful
> to maintain)
>    * Current situation: you are supposed to call package_show and reupload
> this dict
>    * Documentation needs to be improved, create an issue.
> * API exception: uncaught exception in logic function > 500 + html to the
> user
>    * Nigel: maybe something friendlier
>    * Problem: distinguish between 500 caused at the logic level and eg
> Apache
>    * Leave it for now
> * Ian: Is there a nice way to holding state inside a plugin?
>    * Keep it in an instance and iterate to it.
>    * Declare a global variable.
>    * All the options so far are terrible.
>    * Example - Configuration specific to the plugin.
>    * Different behavior based on context hard to test.
> * Is there a reason for moving away from header to url parameters.
>    * David: Prefer to move to using Accept in the next version of the API.
>    * Throw urls instead of IDs
>    * Action function layer still a good idea.
> * No reasonably practically way to add module to requirements in the
> current environment.
>    * Currently we regenerate the requirements.txt which upgrades all the
> modules - dangerous.
>    * Can’t add one dependency or remove a dependency.
>    * Potential: Add new module to requirements.in and then do pip freeze
> and add only the new modules to requirements.txt - May cause issues with
> dependencies.
>    * David to look into another solution in more detail (buildout).

*Irina Bolychevsky*

*Government Open Data & CKAN Manager  |  skype: flouxi  |  twitter:
@shevski <http://twitter.com/shevski>*

*http://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/>  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |

*CKAN | http://ckan.org <http://ckan.org> | @ckanproject
<http://twitter.com/ckanproject> | open source data management platform*