[ckan-dev] dataset schema customization

Ian Ward ian at excess.org
Mon Dec 16 21:47:35 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Ian Ward <ian at excess.org> wrote:
> I'm going to need a solution for this soon as well.
>
> My scheming extension needs to know the dataset type to return the correct
> schemas. This works with the existing old *_options() methods still used for
> groups and organizations, but there is no way for me to do the same with
> datasets.

Sorry, it seems the groups/orgs *_options methods don't work for me
when creating, only updating works because I can get the old group/org
out of the context.

I like simple, minimal interfaces. For my schema customizations all I
need is the dataset/group/org type. I could submit a change to the
plugin interfaces that provides that one value only, but it might not
also satisfy Dave's use case.

Dave: I have validation functions that check the user associated with
the request and make different decisions based on that, would that
work in your case?

Should we attempt to create a list of all the minimum values that we
would want to pass through to a plugin for it to generate a schema, or
should we just pass everything available (data dict and context) like
we used to?

Ian