[ckan-dev] Insert automated data into Datastore

Lasse Vestergaard ibbernik at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 19:53:18 UTC 2013

Hi CKANs.

I am working on a middleware that harvest data from proprietary software
and put it into the CKAN datastore. This shouldn't be a problem and I have
done it before. This time I'm doing it automatically though.

The first problem is that it seems like the JSON parsing won't accept æøå
(danish letters). I havest from a CSV file and I know it's utf-8 encoded.
When I look in the CKAN log I only get:

Bad request data: Error decoding JSON data. Error:
UnicodeDecodeError('utf8', 'h\xf8j', 1, 2, 'invalid start byte')

h\xf8j should be "høj" and it's the \xf8 (ø) that is the problem.

I have tried to change the text so that æøå isn't present. I'm programming
in Java and I then get this message:

java.io.FileNotFoundException

When I look in the CKAN log, I don't get any information.

I'm using CKAN 2.0b and the action api (api/3/action/datastore_upsert -
version 3).

I haven't created the datastore to the resource yet, but that shoulnd't
result in this kind of reponse, right? This means that I am expecting an
error because of the missing datastore, but the errors seems to happen
before I even get to the part where CKAN finds out that the datastore is
not created.

Do anyone have any ideas on where I could go from here?

Best regards
Lasse Vestergaard