[ckan-dev] IFacets plugin interface

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 12:24:28 UTC 2013

Facets are a problem in ckan.

Currently they are changed via config options and the
IPackageController.update_facet_titles() translation of facet names is not
fully supported

The plan is to add a IFacet plugin interface to allow greater flexibility
so that facets can be defined for

Datasets
Groups
Organizations
Bulk Updates

a function would be called on the interface for each of these to get the
facets and the display name

eg

def facets_datasets():
    return {'tags': _('Tags'),
              'groups': _('Groups'),}

the list may expand later if needed

IPackageController.update_facet_titles() will be removed - this was added
in 2.0 and I think Sven is the only current user and switching to the new
interface would be trivial.

Do we also want to remove all the config options and just do things via an
Extension?

the issue is https://github.com/okfn/ckan/issues/400

feedback?  I plan to do this over the next week.

cheers
Toby