[ckan-dev] validate() stripping empty lists

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 12:03:23 UTC 2013

On 15 February 2013 11:54, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi all, what is to be done about this issue?
>
> https://github.com/okfn/ckan/issues/403
>
> Comments encouraged. I'm looking into making fix_partial_updates the
> default.

fix_partial_updates is a compatibility option for legacy templates but I
think it may also affect the api so we need to be aware of that.

Ultimately it is about the level of breakage that we are happy to introduce
with 2.0

It also feeds into the legacy_templates debate.  If we are considering this
should I add a critical warning (or even throw an exception) if we are
using genshi templates?  I have concerns that some extensions use genshi
templates and so this may cause breakages there.  Maybe we just want to
bite the bullet and make the change and see breakage as a way to identify
extensions that need fixing for 2.0.  It also breaks multiple tests but
they are probably pretty crappy ones that will need replacing at some point
with a proper front end test coverage for the new templates.  There will
also be some 'dead' code that will need removing but that can be done in
2.1+ without any impact on users.

If we scrap the legacy template I think it would add 2-3 weeks to the
release date for 2.0 due to bedding in time and the odd issue uncovered.
I'm happy to with whatever decision but I think we need to decide asap