[ckan-dev] VoID

Timothy Lebo lebot at rpi.edu
Fri Feb 15 19:47:24 UTC 2013

Ross,

On Feb 15, 2013, at 2:24 PM, Ross Jones <ross at servercode.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 01:45:37PM -0500, Timothy Lebo wrote:
>> Sweet. What will the alternate point to?
>> And, is that for just the individual dataset pages, or will that include the full dataset listing, too?
>
> For now it'll just have to be the individual datasets, until we have VoID and
> then we can point the alternate for /dataset/ to that.  I'm a bit worried about
> generating the VoID data dynamically because it's likely to involve getting
> some info about all the datasets (about 9k datasets for us) so will need to
> come up with a solution for that.

I don't need info _about_ the datasets, just the dataset URIs themselves (typed to a dcat:Dataset).
But then, the next series of hits to CKAN would be individual requests for each dataset's information…
It might be good to include at least a dcterms:modified property on the dcat:Datasets that you return, so that clients have the option to be "nice".

I'm accessing the full list in a similar "get list, grab info on each" way with ckanclient, so I don't think much computation is being lost by providing the DCAT option.
Providing it as DCAT via conneg would just provide an alternative (and my preferred) way to access it.

(Again, DCAT is the "VoID", but handles datasets regardless of their format.)

> Will speak to Irina on Monday and see what plans she has for this sort of
> thing.

Thanks :-)

-Tim