[ckan-dev] What is a Group "type"

Toby Dacre toby.okfn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 02:46:32 UTC 2013

On 7 January 2013 18:37, Peder Jakobsen | gmail <pjakobsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am creating new groups with the CKAN api, eg
>
> {'name':'goats',
>           'title':Greatest of All Time',
>           'description':'Greatest Tennis Players of All Time',
>           'type':'group'},
>
> I'm wondering what the "type" is for.

It is possible to create your own user specified groups using the
IGroupForm extension point.  This allows for groups with their own forms/
display pages etc.  The basic ckan default group is of type 'group'

Ckan 2.0 introduces a second built-in type 'organization'.  The main
difference being that datasets can be assigned to multiple groups, whereas
a dataset can only be in a single organization.  The organization
determines who is able to edit/view the dataset.

https://github.com/okfn/ckan/blob/master/doc/organizations_and_groups.rsthas
some information on this

Custom dataset types can also be added in a similar way.

Also, where is the best place
> in the code to find documentation about entities and their
> relationships.  I'm never quite sure whether I should be reading the
> test cases, the model packages, or SQLAlchemy, etc. etc. Or is there a
> document floating around that explains the general model in detail.

It is always worth a look in ckan/docs, but often reading the code
(model/controller) / asking on irc or the dev list may be the best option
(this has caused documentation to be improved/created in the past).  We are
always trying to improve the documentation but it sometimes gets pushed to
a lower priority by other demands.  Patches welcome :)

Toby