[ckan-dev] Github Issues

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Sat Jan 12 12:14:37 UTC 2013

> I think it is nice to have the pull request with the issue.  yeah it sucks
> that you can't do this from the web interface but it is easy using my
> wonderful script or that hub thing if you are that way inclined.  It keeps
> the number of issues down too. on just feels easier to manage.

When you turn an existing issue into a pull request using the script,
then if you close the pull request does that close the issue? It could
be that you want to reject the pull request and close it, but the issue
remains unsolved, and later another pull request comes along to try and
solve the same issue.

You could also have a pull request that solves multiple issues, or an
issue that is only solved once multiple pull requests have been merged.

So issue != pull request and it's not a 1-1 correspondence.

So to me it makes sense to have issues and separate pull requests, and
to reference the pull request from the issue and vice-versa.

What I don't like is how GitHub makes pull requests appear as "issues
with code attached" in the issue dashboard, cause it seems to me like
pull requests and issues are different things, so this is confusing.

All that said, most of the time it probably will be one issue with one
pull request and if you want to do them as one issue I don't have a
problem.