[ckan-dev] VoiD metadata at http://semantic.ckan.net/sparql

Cristina Sarasua csarasua at uni-koblenz.de
Mon Jul 8 11:12:54 UTC 2013

Hi,

I would like to ask something about the VoiD descriptions that can be
found querying the Data Hub SPARQL endpoint
<http://semantic.ckan.net/sparql>.

I queried the current endpoint and I saw that the VoiD metadata of a
data set can be found looking at triples like:

<http://linkeddata.openlinksw.com:80/about/id/entity/http/datahub.io/dataset/data-gov-ie>
<http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type>
<http://www.w3.org/ns/dcat#Dataset> .

<http://linkeddata.openlinksw.com:80/about/id/entity/http/datahub.io/dataset/data-gov-ie>
<http://www.w3.org/ns/dcat#distribution> <http://data-gov.ie/void.ttl> .

taking into account that the value of a dcat:distribution property can
be any "accessible form of a dataset" as defined by the DCAT vocabulary
<http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat/>, and therefore, it can represent the
SPARQL endpoint, the RDF dump or the VoiD file of a data set, among
other things. And, in some cases, the rdf:Resource used for specifying
the location of the VoiD description is not a VoiD .ttl file, but a
directory instead.

So, if I want to query the "VoiD metadata space" using the Data Hub
endpoint, in order to find the data sets that satisfy a particular
requirement, I can parse the VoiD metadata that I find as described, and
then execute queries over the collected metadata.

I saw that in February there was a thread
<http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/ckan-dev/2013-February/003980.html>
about VoiD at CKAN, where some external resources were mentioned. Is
what I described, currently the best way to access VoiD information at
the Data Hub, or should I consider something else?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Cristina

--
Cristina Sarasua

Institute for Web Science and Technologies (WeST)

Universität Koblenz-Landau
Universitätsstraße 1
56070 Koblenz
Germany