[ckan-dev] CKAN Filestore and the Datahub

Mark Wainwright mark.wainwright at okfn.org
Fri Jul 19 08:53:26 UTC 2013

Hi all,

As part of the upgrade to CKAN 2.0 for the Datahub [1], as mentioned
at the time, we needed to remove the ability to upload data to CKAN's
Filestore.

There were various reasons for this, including the need to control hosting
costs on the free service. We currently have no way to limit the size or
amount of uploaded files, and spam continues to be a problem for us along
with many other online services.  Your existing Filestore resources are not
affected and remain available.

We are working on some modifications and extensions that will enable us to
offer data hosting again. We expect that this service will form part of a
package, including using CKAN's 'Organizations' feature on the Datahub. This
will be a great solution for small organisations wanting a simple and
lightweight data publishing platform.

However, we're also aware that, for a few existing users, the Filestore was
an important service. For now, if you want to upload files to the Datahub
Filestore, please email us at datahub at okfn.org to let us know what you are
doing, and we will set it up for you. Bear in mind that in the future there
will be a (modest) fee for this to cover our hosting costs.

Mark

[1] http://ckan.org/2013/07/01/new-look-datahub/

--
Business development and user engagement manager
The Open Knowledge Foundation