[ckan-dev] CKAN dev instance hanging

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Wed Jul 17 12:03:49 UTC 2013

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to install CKAN from the source following the http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-2.0/install-from-source.html documentation.
>
> I've got all the way to the point "9. Run CKAN in the development web server" but this is what happens:
>
> 1. terminal
> $ paster serve /etc/ckan/default/development.ini
> Starting server in PID 11273.
> serving on http://127.0.0.1:8080
>

> 2. terminal
> $ curl http://127.0.0.1:8080
>
> I get no reply. The curl is hanging and there is nothing being printed in the first terminal either. However, the paste process keeps using almost 100% CPU.
>
> Does anyone know what is going on here?

I don't know what's going on, but I just had a similar problem.

Are you still able to reproduce this problem? If so could you please:

1. See if you eventually get a 'maximum recursion depth exceeded' error,
if you wait long enough for CKAN to respond (this can take several
minutes)

2. Tell us what version of CKAN you installed. Ideally if you could run
`git log` in your CKAN source dir and tell us what commit you're on

3. Run `pip freeze` with your virtualenv activated and paste the output
in a mail to the list

After you've done 1, 2 and 3: what seemed to fix the problem for me was
destroying my virtualenv and recreating it again. Just deactivate your
virtualenv, delete your virtualenv directory, and repeat the "Install
CKAN into a Python virtual environment" steps from the source install
instructions:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/install-from-source.html#install-ckan-into-a-python-virtual-environment

You shouldn't have to repeat the rest of the source install steps.

Let is know if the problem goes away