[ckan-dev] Installation of ckanext-spatial

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Tue Jun 11 12:14:57 UTC 2013

Hi Hilde,

On 10 June 2013 15:40, Hildegard Gerlach
<hildegard.gerlach at jrc.ec.europa.eu> wrote:

> But now for the ckanext-spatial
> https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-spatial
> it seems that I should have a solr version of at least 3.x, 4.x recommended
The support for the Solr backend is not available for CKAN 2.0 (it
will be if you upgrade to 2.0.1, which should be available very soon).
If after upgrading you decide to go with the solr backend, you will
need to upgrade Solr to use it.
Note that although the solr backend will be recommended, the postgis
backend is well tested and should work fine if you don't have a large
number of datasets (postgis will still be the default option for the
foreseeable future)

> What shall I do ? Remove version 1.4 and install 4.x ? Was the instruction
> in the Wiki incorrect ?
> CKAN can not use the latest version of Apache SOLR and requires version
> 1.4.1.
I'm not sure about the reason of this statement (we don't maintain the
install pages on the wiki). Perhaps is an issue with Red Hat but CKAN
should work perfectly fine with latest versions of Solr (it does on
Ubuntu)

> If I use solr backend for spatial search (ckanext.spatial.search_backend =
> solr), is it then necessary to install postgis anyway or do I not need it at
> all ?
Yes, you still need Postgis to store the geometries.

Adrià