[ckan-dev] Image in featured section (Re: Creating 4 featured groups on the index page instead of 2.)

Ralf Krüdewagen user66 at arcor.de
Fri Jun 14 06:02:58 UTC 2013

Hi Sean,

thank you very much for your support and efforts improving CKAN.
There is no doubt that CKAN is a great piece of software. Things need time, yes.

@Mireille

I have already changed the featured section (the image) on the start page by using "extra_template_paths", which is unfortunately marked as "legacy" and "don't use it any more" in the docs (however, for extensions it's still recommended in the docs) , but is IMHO the simplest way to change existing pages.

Just set it to something like

 extra_template_paths = /usr/lib/ckan/demo/src/ckan/my-templates

Note: Maybe use a dir outside "src/ckan" to avoid Git conflicts.

Then copy template files for pages you want to change from "src/ckan/ckan/templates" to this dir.

Example content in my "extra_template_paths":

$ ~/demo/src/ckan/my-templates$ find .
.
./package
./package/snippets
./package/snippets/disqus.html
./package/read.html
./home
./home/index.html
./home/snippets
./home/snippets/disqus.html
./home/about.html

The image is set in "my-templates/home/index.html". The other templates are used to add ckanext-disqus comments functionality.

The result can be visited here: http://demo.offene-daten.me

Cheers
Ralf