[ckan-dev] 'Featured Organizations' on the front page

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Thu Mar 14 13:06:29 UTC 2013

Hey,

Out-of-the-box CKAN supports showing groups on the front page of the
site and you can choose which groups to show using the
demo.featured_groups setting in your config file.

Showing organizations on the front page is not supported, you can put
organization names in featured_groups and they will show but they'll be
broken.

I've just added rough featured organizations support to the ckanext-sa
extension, so if we want featured orgs on the front page for any other
sites we can copy this. You have to put ckan.featured_organizations in
your ini file (comma-separated list of org names, should have been
space-separated sorry):

https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-sa/commit/93f6c07d38e10630915fe99cd178e831baedd8f0

https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-sa/commit/52eac464e7295cb8a2ef251153eff0107537146d

http://sa.staging.ckanhosted.com/

For CKAN 2.1 we probably want to consider integrating this into core.