[ckan-dev] [question]how to make CKAN support Chinese

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Mon May 6 08:05:16 UTC 2013

> Could someone tell me how to make CKAN website support Chinese just like
> other languages. Is there a convenient method or do I have to translate the
> English into Chinese all by myself? Thank you very much.

Hey, CKAN 2.0 will come with Chinese (Taiwan, zh_TW) by default, the
Chinese (China, zh_CN) translation was only 46% completed in time for
CKAN 2.0 unfortunately.

You can still enable the partial zh_CN translation, just set
ckan.locale_default = zh_CN in your config file. (You'll also need to be
on the release-v2.0 branch.)

If you want to help with the translation, we don't have great docs for
the translation process yet, but basically go and register a free account
at https://www.transifex.com/ then apply to join the CKAN Chinese
(China) translation team here:

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/ckan/language/zh_CN/

Once accepted to the team you can start submitting translations, and
these will get into CKAN 2.1.

If you've done some translations and want to use them with CKAN 2.0
rather than waiting for CKAN 2.1, this is also possible although you'll
have to deploy your translations manually.