[ckan-dev] Solr problem when installing latest ckan

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Thu May 9 08:15:15 UTC 2013

> I have set up the instance on an EC2 with Ubuntu 12.04 server edition. This
> means that I can't use the servers browser. If I use curl, then I can
> access http://localhost:8983/solr/. I get some html where it says "Welcome
> to Solr!". I can even access the admin page as well.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by browsing to the schema.xml. I can see that
> /etc/solr/conf/schema.xml holds the ckan 2.0 schematic.

If you browse to http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/file/?file=schema.xml
you should get an XML file with <schema name="ckan" version="2.0">.

> Could this problem occur if I, under the installation, forgot to activate
> pyenv under parts of the installation?

This doesn't look like a virtualenv issue to me, from the error message
it looks like CKAN is saying it didn't understand the response that it
got from Solr.

You could also double-check that your solr_url is set correctly in your
CKAN configuration file, and you could try these commands:

    paster search-index clear
    paster search-index rebuild
    paster search-index check