[ckan-dev] Privacy of user activity in CKAN 2.0

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Mon May 27 09:16:21 UTC 2013

> What I've noticed is that when you create a private dataset from the
> start, this appears in the activity stream, even if later edits don't.
> This does seem like a bug.

That's a bug. Can you open an issue for that? Also as part of the same
issue, there should be a test for this.

> @Sean, you proabably have more experience with activity streams to
> evaluate these.

IIRC the decision that was made when implementing organizations was that
any activities that happen while a dataset is public are public
activities and remain so, things don't disappear from everyone's
activity streams when you change a previously public dataset to private.

While a dataset is private, it doesn't produce any activities at all.

We talked about allowing private datasets to produce private activities,
but I don't think that has been implemented yet. (There was a question
about what happens to a private dataset's activities when the dataset is
made public, I can't remember what we decided about that: do the
activities become public as well? Or do they remain private?)