[ckan-dev] How to activate and compile CKAN internationalization files within an extension

Ralf user66 at arcor.de
Sun Nov 3 09:59:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have a question about activating and compiling CKAN
internationalization files within an extension.

I have created an extension for a customized theme with templates and
a public directory. So far this works. See
https://github.com/formwandler/ckanext-odmetheme.

But the translations I put under "ckanext/odmetheme/i18n" do not have
any effect. For example, I want to rename "group" to "category", which
currently don't work with my setup.

Questions:

1) How to I initialize my customized translations to be used instead
of the standard ones?

2) Is it valid to compile the .mo files by using the "msgfmt" tool
from gettext package? I used something like

  msgfmt ckan.po -o ckan.mo

to create the .mo files. Or is it mandatory to use the method
described at http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/i18n.html ?

Thanks in advance
Ralf