[ckan-dev] adding a feature: comment on data

Sander van der Waal sander.vanderwaal at okfn.org
Thu Nov 21 08:23:43 UTC 2013

On 21 November 2013 07:39, Ralf <user66 at arcor.de> wrote:

> Hi Mireille,
>
> there is an extension available for integrating comments hosted by Disqus,
> see https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-disqus. It works pretty well.
>
> However, I would appreciate if CKAN would have an built-in comments
> systems that runs on the CKAN server and stores all the data in its own
> database. Disqus comments are IMHO critical in terms of privacy and data
> protection and are not really "Open Data" like. But as long as their is no
> alternative, we need to live with it.

I fully agree that it would be good if CKAN could support other commenting
systems which allow people to keep control over their data. I don't really
like Disqus for the same reasons. But I think ideally we support the
integration of a good existing commenting system rather than building one
ourselves.

Does anyone know of a good commenting system that allows people to keep the
data on their own servers and doesn't force them to sign up with an
external system?

Sander

*Sander van der Waal Head of Unit | Long Term Projects  |  @sandervdwaal
<https://twitter.com/sandervdwaal>The Open Knowledge Foundation