[ckan-dev] geo data modelling

Armin Retterath armin.retterath at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 21:16:23 UTC 2013

hi phillip,

you have got the wrong link. here is the right one to a dataset which comes
from our geoportal (http://www.geoportal.rlp.de):
https://www.govdata.de/suchen/-/details/00a12e63-0550-c6be-c3bf-bb73307996a0

"fictive" means simply, that you have no metadata about the dataset itself,
just an ows - maybe wms or wfs. then you may use a layer/featuretype as a
dataset. means, that you use the metadata, that is corresponding to this
entity as metadata for a dataset. e.g. use the layer title as dataset title
and the layer_id or name as the dataset_name. as i told you, most of all
geodata - which is normally encoded as defined in iso19139, has no
relations between services and datasets :-( . as stated for geo-metadata
there should be a linkage from the service layer/featuretype object to one
or more dataset metadata. this relation is n <-> m and may be complicated.
we use the service/metadata information modell of our geoportal to generate
the json objects for ckan installations on the fly. because only 218 of
nearly 1200 "open" datasets have coupled metadata (at the moment we have
nearly 5000 datasets, which are available via ows), we build the json
objects directly from ows capabilities documents and some further data in
our information modell. if more coupled datasets become available in near
future, i will adopt the export handler to generate also consistent
dataset/resource objects.
here is the link to the webservice, which generates the ckan objects from
our postgis database:
http://www.geoportal.rlp.de/mapbender/php/mod_exportMapbenderLayer2CkanObjects.php

the ckan that we directly update via its api is here:
http://www.daten.rlp.de

here is one consistent example of geometadata which is conform to the
INSPIRE Directive and maybe used to build ckan objects:

dataset metadata:
http://www.geoportal.rlp.de/mapbender/php/mod_dataISOMetadata.php?outputFormat=iso19139&id=e9d22d13-e045-f0e0-25cc-1f146d681216

service metadata:
http://www.geoportal.rlp.de/mapbender/php/mod_layerISOMetadata.php?SERVICE=WMS&outputFormat=iso19139&Id=30825

view service capabilities document:
http://www.geoportal.rlp.de/mapbender/php/wms.php?layer_id=30825&PHPSESSID=0eeec8dbd3dfe7deea744b3f5268a212&INSPIRE=1&REQUEST=GetCapabilities&VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS

download service capabilities document (INSPIRE ATOM Feed):
http://www.geoportal.rlp.de/mapbender/php/mod_inspireDownloadFeed.php?id=e9d22d13-e045-f0e0-25cc-1f146d681216&type=SERVICE&generateFrom=wfs&wfsid=216

if you have further questions - please ask me ;-)

(here is a my little presentation from the fossgis this year:
http://www.fossgis.de/konferenz/2013/programm/events/622.de.html - maybe an
online translation service can help?)

regards

armin