[ckan-dev] Shared access to the database

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Tue Sep 17 15:24:20 UTC 2013

> Also, performing a service call over the network costs obviously
> more than calling SQLAlchemy functions directly.
> Performance would not be a problem initially, but it would impact
> scalability later. And I wouldn't like to redesign the application
> later.

Just to say that this CKAN client can call CKAN action functions
directly when your Python code is running on the same server as CKAN is,
instead of making HTTP requests:

https://github.com/open-data/ckanapi

I'm not sure how well tested this is, it's possible that some CKAN
action functions may fail if they're called without an HTTP request, but
worth a try.

It's really much better to call CKAN's action functions, having your
code access CKAN's model directly is likely to create problems.