[ckan-dev] Initial Setup of CKAN

Matt Richardson contactus at milwaukeedata.org
Thu Apr 10 13:20:35 UTC 2014

So I am very new to Python and have limited experience with Linux.
Obviously I'm the perfect person to set up a DKAN instance! :) But our
local data initiative needs a flexible data catalog to empower local
developers, so here I am. And Now I am stuck. I've asked CKAN and my
hosting company for help, and no one has been helpful so far.

Any thoughts or willing helpers would be greatly appreciated. To be honest,
I would rather pay someone a small amount to set up and host the instance
on their servers, and make sure the software is updated. *Any takers on
that*?

THE SITUATION
I've signed up with A2 hosting on a virtual instance of Ubuntu, and got so
far as initializing the CKAN database. But I am getting an error saying
that CKAN can't connect to the database. The instance is an Ubuntu server,
but I am not sure why this isn't working, don't know the best way to make
this work without opening up the database to listen on every IP.

Thank you!