[ckan-dev] Initial Setup of CKAN

Vitor Baptista vitor at vitorbaptista.com
Thu Apr 10 16:08:29 UTC 2014

Hi Matt,

There are services for hosted instances of CKAN and deployment on your own
services at http://ckan.org/services/hosted-slas/ and
http://ckan.org/services/deployment/.

About your issue, are you able to connect to your Postgres instance through
the psql command-line tool on CKAN server? Try using:

psql -h <the-db-post> -U <ckan-db-username> -W <the-database-name>

It'll ask you for the password. If that works, you'd need to check if you
have set up the sqlalchemy.url in your CKAN .ini config file correctly.

Cheers,

> So I am very new to Python and have limited experience with Linux.
> Obviously I'm the perfect person to set up a DKAN instance! :) But our
> local data initiative needs a flexible data catalog to empower local
> developers, so here I am. And Now I am stuck. I've asked CKAN and my
> hosting company for help, and no one has been helpful so far.
>
> Any thoughts or willing helpers would be greatly appreciated. To be
> honest, I would rather pay someone a small amount to set up and host the
> instance on their servers, and make sure the software is updated. *Any
> takers on that*?
>
> THE SITUATION
> I've signed up with A2 hosting on a virtual instance of Ubuntu, and got so
> far as initializing the CKAN database. But I am getting an error saying
> that CKAN can't connect to the database. The instance is an Ubuntu server,
> but I am not sure why this isn't working, don't know the best way to make
> this work without opening up the database to listen on every IP.
>
> Thank you!

Vítor Baptista

Developer  |  http://vitorbaptista.com |
LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/vitorbaptista>|