[ckan-dev] Initial Setup of CKAN

David Megginson david.megginson at megginson.com
Thu Apr 10 19:37:23 UTC 2014

Matt — I've been using Linux for 21 years and have over a dozens of web
apps from scratch in Perl, PHP, and Java, but I *also* found the CKAN setup
complicated, so it's not just you.  Python's use of virtual environments,
etc. makes the applications perversely difficult to deploy compared to
(say) a PHP-based webapp like WordPress or Drupal (though I'm sure there
are benefits of some kind that experienced Python devs appreciate).

Still, I found the instructions at
http://docs.ckan.org/en/1117-start-new-test-suite/install-from-source.htmlwell-written,
and I was able to get a local CKAN instance running on my
Ubuntu-based laptop in about 15 minutes.  There's more work involved to get
a production instance running (and the docs can be a bit more confusing for
anyone but a Python+web guru, especially with the extra complexities of
NGINX for caching and Apache talking to some bizarro Python thingy), but a
local sandbox is a good start.

If you try walking through the docs at the link above and then post here
about the specific steps that go wrong, I suspect the list will be able to
give you good, detailed help.

Cheers, David