[ckan-dev] Commenting alternatives to Disqus?

David Megginson david.megginson at megginson.com
Thu Apr 17 10:53:59 UTC 2014

Has anyone developed a robust commenting extension that keeps comments in
CKAN rather than going out to an external service like Disqus?

Using Disqus for CKAN has several serious flaws:

   - For public pages, the comments are loaded from the Disqus server and
   generated dynamically via JavaScript — that means that they won't be
   indexed with the page by Google (etc.), so a huge amount of valuable
   search-engine context is lost.

   - For private pages (e.g. org-specific datasets), the comments (which
   may contain confidential information) are being stored on a third-party
   server, and to make it worse, on a server located in the US (where the
   contents are subject to arbitrary secret surveillance laws).

   - Users of the CKAN site are forced to create Disqus accounts to comment
   non-anonymously, and to have their activities tracked by Disqus across
   different sites.

If there's no production-ready extension, I'd also be interested in hearing
about work in progress.  I do know that some governments have integrated
CKAN with a Drupal commenting system, but running Drupal just for comments
is a bit of a heavy-handed solution.

Thanks, and all the best,

David